Garlic is a great pre-biotic, and it is fabulous for the immune system. Artichokes are high in fiber, polyphenols, antioxidants although most of their goodness is lost when you eat only the hearts (as we do here.)
For greater benefit from this recipe, purchase whole artichokes, peel off the leaves, dry the leaves, and use said leaves for tea. Then steam the heart of the artichoke to use in the recipe below. The tea is well known for its gastrointestinal and Liver benefits.
- 2 fresh cloves garlic (roasted also works a treat!)
- 6-8 artichoke hearts (you can use steamed, grilled or jarred)
- olive oil
- pepper and salt to taste
- 1 TB lemon juice
- Squeeze and drain the artichoke hearts
- Place artichoke hearts, garlic and lemon into a food processor or blender
- Turn on food processor, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the garlic/artichoke mix until light and fluffy
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- You should end up with 12oz of this garlic-artichoke cream
- Spread on crackers, chicken, tomatoes, fish, use as a crudites/vegetable dip, use on cooked greens, you name it!
- Store in the fridge, in a tightly sealed jar. Use within two weeks.
- If you would like this more garlicky, add another clove of garlic; if you would like it more artichoke-y, add another heart or two.